Hair loss can happen to anyone, and when it does, it can be a painful and difficult reality to deal with. If hair loss is a problem for you, you need to know that hair transplantation is a viable option to regrow your hair. FUE is one of the main hair transplant techniques used by surgeons, and it has become a popular procedure because it involves minimal pain. But what are the benefits of FUE hair transplant.
FUE hair transplant
Image courtesy of Pinterest.com
FUE is a hair transplant method that individually extracts hair grafts from the donor area. The donor area supplies the grafts for the procedure, and is usually at the back of the scalp. The units are then transplanted to the balding areas. Each follicular unit contains 1-4 fully grown hairs.
The FUE technique normally involves using a circular punch to harvest the hair grafts. FUE is a labor intensive method, because the grafts are individually harvested. Consequently, it may require more than one session to achieve the density you desire. FUE is a time consuming procedure, so a single treatment can take 6-10 hours.
The donor area may have to be shaved in preparation for the procedure, but not always, so this should be discussed with your surgeon prior to the operation.
How it works
The donor area is numbed using a local anesthetic, and then the follicular units are removed. The removal is performed carefully in order to avoid any injury to the scalp, and to ensure the survival of the individual grafts.
The recipient area is prepared for receiving the follicular grafts, which are then placed in the balding area at a similar angle to the existing hair. The precise placement of the hairs is one reason the results gained with FUE look so natural.
There will be very small holes in the donor area where the follicular units were harvested, but these usually take only a few days to heal. After that time they are virtually indiscernible.
Benefits of FUE hair transplant
- FUE does not leave a linear scalp scar, as is the case with the follicular unit transplant (FUT) technique.
- Recovery time is minimal. There are few complications post-op, and no tightness of the scalp.
- No pain. There is virtually no pain during or after the procedure. if patients experience any mild discomfort, taking over the counter pain medication usually helps.
- Results look natural and balanced. This occurs because the hair is transplanted in a manner that conforms to the angle and direction that the existing hair grows.
- No noticeable change in the donor area. The hole created by the circular punch is so small that sutures are not needed.
- It is possible to use hair from other parts of the body such as the beard, if there is not enough usable hair in the back of the head.
What can I expect?
There is generally some swelling, redness, and minimal scabbing during the recovery period. The swelling takes about 3-4 days to resolve, and the scabbing can be washed away within the first 4 days. Most patients are able to go back to work the day after the procedure. However, if you have a strenuous job that requires lifting or stretching, you may need to take a few days off work.
Results can be seen about 3 months after the transplant, but final results can take over a year before they are visible.
Are you a good candidate
FUE is recommended for people with mild to moderate hair loss. When assessing your candidacy, surgeons also consider the color and texture of your hair, the reasons for your hair loss, and the number of grafts that will be required to achieve your desired results.
FUE hair transplant has been performed successfully on many patients, and it has helped to completely transform their appearance and improve their self-confidence.
If you are considering FUE hair transplant procedure, contact The Langdon Center for Laser and Cosmetic Surgery, located in Guilford, CT.