Additional Hair Care Information:
If the amount of money consumers spend on hair products annually is any indication, most people are concerned about the appearance of their hair and strive to attain beautiful, healthy and stylish locks. In fact, most will go to any lengths to achieve their desired look. From professional salon treatments to over-the-counter serums, hair care is a big business.
The only problem is that while many people are buying the right products for their hair, they forget to follow basic hair care regimens that will guarantee the health and beauty of their tresses. Additionally, many are also causing needless damage to their tresses by participating in unhealthy hair care activities.
So, what should you do to make sure that your locks stay healthy, shiny and strong? Here are 10 essential “must dos” of great hair care.
Hair care dos
1. Use the right products for your specific hair type. If you’re hair is damaged, dry or color treated, use products formulated to repair this damage and add much-needed shine and resiliency. On the other hand, if your hair is oily, use a deep-cleansing shampoo and light conditioner to keep your hair looking its best. The right products should be at the base of your care routine.
2. Get a trim every 6 to 8 weeks as part of your regular routine. Even if you are growing your hair longer, it is still vital to make a routine trim a major part of your care routine. Snipping ends before they split will keep your hair looking healthy and save you hair care headaches in the end.
3. Protect your hair with products that contain sunscreen.
4. Shampoo your hair only when it is dirty. Contrary to popular belief, you do not need to shampoo daily. Doing so can make it dry and hard to work with.
5. Turn to a professional for all of your hair styling and care needs. Yes, kitchen beauticians and friends do not cost as much as putting your hair care needs in the hands of a qualified professional, but they often result in blunders that end up costing you more money than if you went to the salon in the first place.
6. Use professional conditioning hair coloring systems. There are many coloring systems on the market, and the ones you choose can have a great impact on your hair care costs. Simply put: choose a system that causes minimal damage and conditions hair as it colors. This will save you money when it comes to conditioning products.
7. Stick with one chemical service. In order to keep your hair as healthy as it can be, ask your hair professional to recommend only one chemical service: color or perm. By only using the service that is perfect for your particular style and needs, you will ensure that your hair stays healthier.
8. Add Texture. By adding texture to your style, through perm or cut, you can greatly reduce the time it takes to style and perform your daily routine. And you will look sensational.
9. Choose hair color that compliments your style. With all of the professional coloring techniques available, this part of your care regimen has never been easier. From chunky highlights to soft color, you can greatly enhance your style with the right technique.
10. Comb with a wide-toothed come when it is wet to prevent breakage. The only time you should use a brush during your hair care routine is when your hair is barely damp or dry.
In the end, hair care is a very individualized and personal thing. Feel free to add your own flair and style to your routine, but remember to include hair care principles that will benefit your hair and avoid those that damage it.